Our mission is to help people become happier, healthier, and more resilient in the face of life's challenges. The science suggests these are skills - ones that meditation makes us better at.
At its core, meditation is a simple, secular, scientifically validated exercise for your mind. Like running in the 70's, or yoga in the 90's, meditation is now poised to become the next big public health revolution. Join the team that's accelerating this revolution. Ten Percent Happier touches millions of lives with award winning apps, books and a podcast, is backed by extraordinary investors, co-founded by #1 New York Times Bestselling author Dan Harris of ABC News, and guided by the world's most respected meditation teachers & scientists.
Your mission is to lead production of Ten Percent Happier's new podcasts and production team. You will be working closely with the executive producer to lead a team of producers developing new and exciting show concepts from pitch to pilot to show launch.
What you will do:
- Lead highly creative teams, balance several projects at once, drives toward clear goals and pivot quickly when needed, help producers reach their full potential. You'll work on a range of ambitious new show concepts: from interview shows to highly produced documentary style series and long form narratives.
- Set the bar for both excellence and efficiency, support producers with advanced your storytelling skills, write and craft episode structure, research, develop positive host relationships, and incorporate listener stories and feedback into our shows.
- Write, produce and edit as needed to ensure projects reach the highest standards of excellence and come in on or ahead of schedule.
- Lead the day to day production of shows in development at various stages, including direct supervision of a team of four producers (to start)
- Key tasks include:
- development of show format, including storyboarding and scripting
- working closely with show hosts, producers, audio engineer to develop the voice, sound aesthetic of the show
- working with producer and production coordinator to develop editorial and production plans timed to the development and launch of other ten percent podcasts
- help ensure the successful launch of each show and that it is on track to meet key audience goals
- co-lead efforts to produce shows and stories that fit within the ethos and mission of the Ten Percent Happier brand, i.e. relatable wisdom
- Write, edit and lead produce high-profile new shows and episodes
- Supervise and mentor team of four producers (to start)
- Lead coordinator for all audio engineering needs
- works with executive producer and team leaders on marketing and product teams to coordinate any in-app meditation content that is relevant to the launch of a new podcast
- Similarly ensures strong editorial direction of content related to in-app projects like challenges, courses, ect. Requires superior writing, editing, pitching skills.
- Editorial support in ensuring the best messaging and tone for all in show and relevant marketing messages.
- Lead on guest prep to ensure host is fully prepared for each and every interview, including series prep
- Reporting and analysis of download numbers on a weekly and monthly basis after launch
- Coordinate (with guidance of EP) TPH new show podcast marketing efforts as needed, including the creation of visual assets for platform and media pitches, newsletter strategy, podcast conversion to app strategy, audience development planning with support of marketing, webpage design and maintenance including SEO, support marketing team in designing podcast surveys to better understand our audience (only for short periods post-launch)
What you will bring to the team
- At least three years of journalism and successful podcast production experience
- Strong preference for candidates with significant show development and management experience
- Significant familiarity with mindfulness practice teachings (e.g. meditation).
- Superior writing for audio/script drafting and editing
- Production scheduling, project management and episode planning
- Talent booking and management including tailored interview prep
- Producing recording sessions (logistics e.g. studios, tape syncs, etc.)
- Journalistic research/reporting
- Story editing
- Audio Editing
Who you will work with:
You will report directly to Jen Poyant, Executive Producer
We are currently hiring for the following roles which will report into you:
- Two people in the Producer, Show Development role
- Two people in the Associate Producer, Show Development role.
Why we think you’ll like working here:
- Until we can all go back to work at our downtown Boston, dog-friendly office we’ll support your work from home set-up with a $1,000 stipend
- You’ll become a part of a growing company that is changing people's lives for the better
- We foster a culture that values clear and kind communication. We're passionate about reasonable work hours, flexibility in getting work done, and respecting and valuing the whole life you live.
- You will be welcomed into a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other's experiences, abilities and perspectives.
- We’ll provide you with a competitive compensation package with equity
- You’ll be eligible for our full benefits package including traditional benefits like health and dental insurance as well as non-traditional benefits like meditation enrichment and DEI stipends
Our investment in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
Ten Percent Happier seeks to help people become happier, more connected, and more resilient in the face of life’s challenges. We aim to cultivate a culture that is steeped in the values and practices that we promote through our products and media channels. We welcome the cultural enrichment that comes from diverse experiences in education, class background, age, culture, ethnicity, race, color, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, nation of origin, languages spoken, able-bodiedness, religion and beliefs. We are invested in creating a work environment that supports each of us in feeling valued and recognized for our unique contributions to what we collectively produce, and where we each feel a sense of belonging.