Our mission is to help people become happier, healthier, and more resilient in the face of life's challenges. The science suggests these are skills - ones that meditation makes us better at.
At its core, meditation is a simple, secular, scientifically validated exercise for your mind. Like running in the 70's, or yoga in the 90's, meditation is now poised to become the next big public health revolution. Join the team that's accelerating this revolution. Ten Percent Happier touches millions of lives with award winning apps, books and a podcast, is backed by extraordinary investors, co-founded by #1 New York Times Bestselling author Dan Harris of ABC News, and guided by the world's most respected meditation teachers & scientists.
This role offers all of the excitement and freedom that comes with being the senior member of a growing backend engineering team, with none of the risk of a small startup. You'll help establish best practices and scale the backend systems that support our award-winning mobile apps, web apps, content management system, and data infrastructure. You'll work directly with our mobile engineering team, product, design, content, marketing, and operations to support initiatives across the organization.
What you will do
- Monitor and maintain the core Rails app, as well as other services across a variety of platforms.
- Drive helpful conversations around technical issues and engineering practices, suggesting improvements and ideas as you see them.
- Develop new products and features. This will happen in 2 different ways:
- As a tech lead, working with product and design.
- Designing, reviewing, and coding as an individual contributor.
What you will bring to the team
- Owning the development and maintenance of backend systems.
- Supporting backend systems in production, ensuring high reliability.
- Designing and developing client-server applications.
- Working with a relational database, ideally PostgreSQL.
- Developing and maintaining an API, ideally using Rails.
- Developing and maintaining web apps, ideally using React.
- Providing mentorship and encouraging the growth of others.
- Bonus: Supporting data analysis initiatives.
- Bonus: Maintaining a high level of privacy and security in regards to user data.
- Bonus: Working with various subscription service providers (ie. Apple, Google, Stripe)
Who you will work with
- You will report directly to Brent Raines, Manager of Backend Engineering (https://www.linkedin.com/in/rainesbt/)
- We also have an open position for a Rails Developer, that you'd be working alongside
Why we think you'll like working here
- Until we can all go back to work at our downtown Boston, dog-friendly office we’ll support your work from home set-up with a $1,000 stipend.
- You’ll become a part of a growing company that is changing people's lives for the better.
- We foster a culture that values clear and kind communication. We're passionate about reasonable work hours, flexibility in getting work done, and respecting and valuing the whole life you live.
- You will be welcomed into a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other's experiences, abilities and perspectives.
- We’ll provide you with a competitive compensation package with equity.
- You’ll be eligible for our full benefits package including traditional benefits like health and dental insurance as well as non-traditional benefits like meditation enrichment and DEI stipends.
Our investment in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Ten Percent Happier seeks to help people become happier, more connected, and more resilient in the face of life’s challenges. We aim to cultivate a culture that is steeped in the values and practices that we promote through our products and media channels. We welcome the cultural enrichment that comes from diverse experiences in education, class background, age, culture, ethnicity, race, color, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, nation of origin, languages spoken, able-bodiedness, religion and beliefs. We are invested in creating a work environment that supports each of us in feeling valued and recognized for our unique contributions to what we collectively produce, and where we each feel a sense of belonging.